Ahh… the joys of summer fun… but… don’t let safety slip away from you!
by Brian Kornet, Fabra-Cleen (www.fabracleen.com)
Ah, the joys of summer. Water splashing, fun in the sun. But with all the joys that summer brings, it is no accident that June, a month that brings warmer weather and wet outdoor activities, is National Safety Month. On a hot day, backyard slip-and-slides, sprinklers, and pools can be a real treat. But as anyone who spends time with children knows, kids run around. A lot. And hard surfaces like tile, when wet, often do not offer enough traction to keep those little slippery feet securely planted.
Slip resistance services for your concrete, terrazzo, or tile surfaces can help prevent injuries from slip/fall. Special topical treatments can be applied to increase the coefficient of friction (CoF) on the surface of your floors, bathtubs, showers, and pool surrounds, minimizing the slipperiness, especially when the surface becomes wet.
Here are some other tips from The National Safety Council Home Safety Checklist to prevent various types of falling accidents:
- Secure electrical and phone cords out of traffic areas
- Remove small throw rugs or use non-skid mats to keep them from slipping
- Remove tripping hazards (paper, boxes, toys, clothes, shoes) from stairs and walkways
- Periodically check the condition of walkways and steps, and repair damages immediately
- Never stand on a chair, table or other surface on wheels